Author Topic: 5 species, all the aliens you could ever want.  (Read 451 times)

SilvercatMoonpaw

• Modron
    • View Profile
5 species, all the aliens you could ever want.
« on: January 21, 2009, 01:15:43 PM »
I'm trying to boot up a setting idea again, and like last time I'd like to get some feedback on my ideas.  Their theme grew out of working on them: they each have some aspect that allows their population to have a wide variety of different forms.  This has struck me as a possible way to have the "similar-looking species mosh-pit" that happens in (at least some) science-fiction without really having to have many different species.  I'm just worried that it seems heavy-handed and may in fact eliminate some interesting element that I haven't considered.

I should mention that these would be the only sentient species in the entire galaxy, just the most common in the campaign area and probably the ones I'd be most comfortable dealing with.

Notes: Panian: Essentially means the same thing as our word "humanoid", except it isn't based upon referring to one species and thus is not considered specist. When referring to human-like head/facial features the word hominid is used.

Extant Species

Tek: The most common sentient species in the known galaxy, and for good reason: they are the most adventurous, cosmopolitan, and one of the most adaptable species in the known galaxy.  They owe most of this success to a genetic leftover from their ancestors: during gestation a tek's genome regarding their outer appearance mutates and rearranges itself constantly, shut down only by the presence of a certain hormone. From then on a tek's appearance remains stable, only affected by normal aging hormones.  Because of this lack if inherited form tek societies do not carry many of the notions more stable species develop: bloodline and blood power, racial groupings and prejudice, and partner choice and family make-up.
This gestation-form-shifting means that there is no one tek look, thought they are all panians. Tek can most often be said to resemble other creatures: feline, canine, equine, lapine, and rodent are a few of the possibilities. Mammalian tends to be the most common, however. Coloration varies widely, too, from muted to bright tones and in many kinds of patterns. Extra features such as additional tails or wings are uncommon but not rare.
Tek hybridize easily with many other panian species, though because non-tek genes are not as readily malliable the resulting offspring will still resemble the non-tek parent as usual for that species, and in fact their tek DNA seems to adapt so that the form will be mostly from that parent.

Humans: An unremarkable panian species upon first discovery, humans have become characterized for their genetic self-modification.  Whether adapting their physiology to colonize a new planet, boosting their systems to live longer and heathier, or simply accessorizing their bodies, humans have wielded genetic engineering so casually that the are now as distant from their homeworld ancestors as those people were from their forebears.
Humans appear mostly as they did when first contacted, those these days they sport skin, eye, and hair colors impossible naturally for their species.  In addition many have accessorized features such as animal ears and tails.

Sonata: Limited shapeshifters, some scientists aren't sure if the sonata represent an actual species so much as an inheritable condition.  This confusion stems from their reproduction: sonata can reproduce with many different panian species (especially tek, whom they are the ancestors of), and the resulting offspring at first appears to be of that species but will eventually develop shapeshifting and the perceptiveness of a sonata.  Even sophisticated genetic testing often fails to notice this trait until it has fully matured.
Sonata are capable of appearing as nearly any panian species, though the forms seen in tek are the least difficult.

Heyaafoura: A very unique species resembling mantid insects, heyaafoura are not in fact biological organisms.  Though their bodies mimic biological functions there non-bio nature can be seen in their ability to upgrade via modular parts.
The basic form of a heyaafoura is a nearly rectangular semi-chitonous torso, with appendages at each corner and one pair in the middle.  The legs each have two normal joints and one "wrist" joint, plus a "hand" with an average of six finger-like claws.  Their heads are triangular with the point toward the jawed mouth and large eyes at the other points.  They do not possess any form of antenna.
All other aspects of heyaafoura appearance depend upon what parts they have on their bodies: they can be large and hulking or smaller and thin; they may utilize four of their appendages as legs or only two; color can vary, but is usually either a sandy gold or dark blue-grey.  The parts are easy to deal with: the heyaafoura enters a "trance"  and then can just tug out a part and place in a new one.  The only limitation to this procedure is that the brain of the individual is unreplaceable.
Heyaafoura reproduction is surprisingly simple method given their "biology": each mating individual, and there can be more than one, produces a "seed part" which can then be attached together and grow into a new heyaafoura.

Extinct Species

Symphona: The supposed ancestors of the tek and sonata, the symphona could supposedly alter not only their outer appearance but their entire body structure and mass.  Unfortunately all of what is known about them comes from legends: they are considered to have been extinct for thousands of years at least, though rumors persist of their survival.  They are typically invoked as the "Ancient Ones" who built all the fantastic artifacts and ruins lying over known space.
Some individuals have appeared claimed to be one of them, but invariably they turn out to be mutant throwbacks of either sonata or tek.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by SilvercatMoonpaw »
I'm a muck-levelist, I like to see things from the bottom.

"No matter where you go, you will find stupid people."