Author Topic: Dwarf Mercenaries  (Read 1141 times)

Xeviat

  • Flail Snail
  • *
  • Posts: 2086
    • View Profile
Dwarf Mercenaries
« on: March 29, 2017, 08:59:58 PM »
Hi everyone. I've been away for a while. I'm about to start a new game, something a little more roleplay focused than my more recent combative games. I'm also going to set it in my "Endless Horizons" setting to get back to working there.

The campaign idea sprung from a "tribal campaign" idea one of the players had. Basically, a campaign where all of the players come from the same group in some fashion, such as all the same race or all the same class/type of class. Restriction can often breed creativity.

We decided on the players being members of an all dwarf mercenary group. Their stomping grounds are the borderlands of a dwarf and a human kingdom. The dwarves don't like them because they aren't operating specifically for the dwarf's best interest. The humans don't like them because they're dwarves.

I plan to run the game fairly episodically, so it's easier to keep playing if someone doesn't show up for a game. I'm looking to take some inspiration from the "Berserk" manga/anime, but I'm looking for other ideas. The two nations aren't at war, yet, but a I want the threat of war to be a thread that runs through things so I can pull that thread eventually and put them right in the middle of it.

For the first session, I'm planning to have some group capture the PC's mercenary group's leader. Taking the leader out of the equation will put the onus of decision making and leadership on the PCs, so I don't have anyone telling them what to do. I can also then kill the leader to give the players an easy to hate rival group.

Do you have any other ideas for elements or themes for such a campaign?
Endless Horizons: Action and adventure set in a grand world ripe for exploration.

Proud recipient of the Silver Tortoise Award for extra Krunchyness.

Steerpike

  • Flumph
  • *
  • Posts: 3952
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Mercenaries
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 11:38:50 AM »
How big is this mercenary group? Are the PCs basically it, or are we talking a small dwarf army, like a "Dwarven Black Company" kinda thing?

I feel like a fairly detailed regional map - maybe a hex-crawl - could be useful in this sort of game.

Xeviat

  • Flail Snail
  • *
  • Posts: 2086
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Mercenaries
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 06:55:44 PM »
The group will be larger then the PCs, but the PCs are the majority of the movers and shakers. I'll definitely be making a map for the area. I'd like the mercenary company to be a little big so they can do mass combat or at least send groups out on little missions.
Endless Horizons: Action and adventure set in a grand world ripe for exploration.

Proud recipient of the Silver Tortoise Award for extra Krunchyness.

Steerpike

  • Flumph
  • *
  • Posts: 3952
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Mercenaries
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 09:41:33 PM »
This is super cool, and also seems like it could be wonderfully low-prep. Pepper a landscape with enough enemy and neutral armies, "creeps," strategic landmarks, towns to take and hold, villages to plunder, etc and you don't need extensive plots or exhaustively detailed dungeons.

Xeviat

  • Flail Snail
  • *
  • Posts: 2086
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Mercenaries
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 09:54:22 PM »
I figure it will be a lot of "preprep". I'll be making some NPC stats for humanoid enemies, and figuring out what goes on in the world without them. But they'll be able to drive what they want to do largely.
Endless Horizons: Action and adventure set in a grand world ripe for exploration.

Proud recipient of the Silver Tortoise Award for extra Krunchyness.

Xathan

  • Gelatinous Cube
  • *
  • Posts: 2211
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Mercenaries
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 03:55:42 PM »
Did we come back at around the same time again?

Sounds really interesting. Question - if the Dwarves don't much like this mercenary group, then who's hiring them?
AnIndex of My Work

Quote from: Sparkletwist
It's llitul and the brain, llitul and the brain, one is a genius and the other's insane
Proud Receiver of a Golden Dorito
SRD AND OGC AND LEGAL JUNK
UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED IN THE POST, NONE OF THE ABOVE CONTENT IS CONSIDERED OGC, EXCEPT FOR MATERIALS ALREADY MADE OGC BY PRIOR PUBLISHERS
Appendix I: Open Game License Version 1.0a
The following text is the property of Wizards of the Coast, Inc. and is Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast, Inc ("Wizards"). All Rights Reserved.
1. Definitions: (a)"Contributors" means the copyright and/or trademark owners who have contributed Open Game Content; (b)"Derivative Material" means copyrighted material including derivative works and translations (including into other computer languages), potation, modification, correction, addition, extension, upgrade, improvement, compilation, abridgment or other form in which an existing work may be recast, transformed or adapted; (c) "Distribute" means to reproduce, license, rent, lease, sell, broadcast, publicly display, transmit or otherwise distribute; (d)"Open Game Content" means the game mechanic and includes the methods, procedures, processes and routines to the extent such content does not embody the Product Identity and is an enhancement over the prior art and any additional content clearly identified as Open Game Content by the Contributor, and means any work covered by this License, including translations and derivative works under copyright law, but specifically excludes Product Identity. (e) "Product Identity" means product and product line names, logos and identifying marks including trade dress; artifacts; creatures characters; stories, storylines, plots, thematic elements, dialogue, incidents, language, artwork, symbols, designs, depictions, likenesses, formats, poses, concepts, themes and graphic, photographic and other visual or audio representations; names and descriptions of characters, spells, enchantments, personalities, teams, personas, likenesses and special abilities; places, locations, environments, creatures, equipment, magical or supernatural abilities or effects, logos, symbols, or graphic designs; and any other trademark or registered trademark clearly identified as Product identity by the owner of the Product Identity, and which specifically excludes the Open Game Content; (f) "Trademark" means the logos, names, mark, sign, motto, designs that are used by a Contributor to identify itself or its products or the associated products contributed to the Open Game License by the Contributor (g) "Use", "Used" or "Using" means to use, Distribute, copy, edit, format, modify, translate and otherwise create Derivative Material of Open Game Content. (h) "You" or "Your" means the licensee in terms of this agreement.
2. The License: This License applies to any Open Game Content that contains a notice indicating that the Open Game Content may only be Used under and in terms of this License. You must affix such a notice to any Open Game Content that you Use. No terms may be added to or subtracted from this License except as described by the License itself. No other terms or conditions may be applied to any Open Game Content distributed using this License.
3. Offer and Acceptance: By Using the Open Game Content You indicate Your acceptance of the terms of this License.
4. Grant and Consideration: In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open Game Content.
5. Representation of Authority to Contribute: If You are contributing original material as Open Game Content, You represent that Your Contributions are Your original creation and/or You have sufficient rights to grant the rights conveyed by this License.
6. Notice of License Copyright: You must update the COPYRIGHT NOTICE portion of this License to include the exact text of the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any Open Game Content You are copying, modifying or distributing, and You must add the title, the copyright date, and the copyright holder's name to the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any original Open Game Content you Distribute.
7. Use of Product Identity: You agree not to Use any Product Identity, including as an indication as to compatibility, except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of each element of that Product Identity. You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered Trademark. The use of any Product Identity in Open Game Content does not constitute a challenge to the ownership of that Product Identity. The owner of any Product Identity used in Open Game Content shall retain all rights, title and interest in and to that Product Identity.
8. Identification: If you distribute Open Game Content You must clearly indicate which portions of the work that you are distributing are Open Game Content.
9. Updating the License: Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License.
10 Copy of this License: You MUST include a copy of this License with every copy of the Open Game Content You Distribute.
11. Use of Contributor Credits: You may not market or advertise the Open Game Content using the name of any Contributor unless You have written permission from the Contributor to do so.
12 Inability to Comply: If it is impossible for You to comply with any of the terms of this License with respect to some or all of the Open Game Content due to statute, judicial order, or governmental regulation then You may not Use any Open Game Material so affected.
13 Termination: This License will terminate automatically if You fail to comply with all terms herein and fail to cure such breach within 30 days of becoming aware of the breach. All sublicenses shall survive the termination of this License.
14 Reformation: If any provision of this License is held to be unenforceable, such provision shall be reformed only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable.
15 COPYRIGHT NOTICE
Open Game License v 1.0 Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Fudge 10th Anniversary Edition Copyright 2005, Grey Ghost Press, Inc.; Authors Steffan O'Sullivan and Ann Dupuis, with additional material by Jonathan Benn, Peter Bonney, Deird'Re Brooks, Reimer Behrends, Don Bisdorf, Carl Cravens, Shawn Garbett, Steven Hammond, Ed Heil, Bernard Hsiung, J.M. "Thijs" Krijger, Sedge Lewis, Shawn Lockard, Gordon McCormick, Kent Matthewson, Peter Mikelsons, Robb Neumann, Anthony Roberson, Andy Skinner, William Stoddard, Stephan Szabo, John Ughrin, Alex Weldon, Duke York, Dmitri Zagidulin
System Reference Document Copyright 2000-2003, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, Rich Baker, Andy Collins, David Noonan, Rich Redman, Bruce R. Cordell, based on original material by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.

Modern System Reference Doument Copyright 2002, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Bill Slavicsek, Jeff Grubb, Rich Redman, Charles Ryan, based on material by Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Richard Baker, Peter Adkison, Bruce R. Cordell, John Tynes, Andy Collins, and JD Walker.

Unearthed Arcana Copyright 2004, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Andy Collins, Jesse Decker, David Noonan, Rich Redman.

Mutants and Masterminds Second Edition Copyright 2005, Green Ronin Publishing; Steve Kenson
Fate (Fantastic Adventures in Tabletop Entertainment) Copyright 2003 by Evil Hat Productions, LLC. Authors Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks.
Spirit of the Century Copyright 2006 by Evil Hat Productions, LLC. Authors Robert Donoghue, Fred Hicks, and Leonard Balsera
Xathan's forum posts at http://www.thecbg.org Copyright 2006-2011, J.A. Raizman.
[close]

Xeviat

  • Flail Snail
  • *
  • Posts: 2086
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Mercenaries
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 11:36:12 PM »
Quote from: Xathan
Did we come back at around the same time again?

Sounds really interesting. Question - if the Dwarves don't much like this mercenary group, then who's hiring them?

Maybe ... we are connected.

The Dwarven nationalists don't like them, because they're independent, but they're still a useful force (especially when you don't want your official military's fingerprints on something). There's also a fairly wide stretch of boarder lands between the human kingdom and the dwarf lands, areas that are ostensibly in either boarder but too far out and too unimportant to fortify. When the specter of war starts to grow, then either side will likely start fortifying.

My players have made their characters statistically. Some of them are still working on backstories. All are working on names.

One is a Hill Dwarf Warlock. Hill Dwarves in my setting are generally closer allies to humans, but they also fight over territory with them more because Hill Dwarves live on the surface. The dwarves in the region are Mountain Dwarves, btw. The Warlock grew up wanting to be a soldier, but she wasn't strong enough or exceptionally tough enough (for a dwarf) to stand out. She also wasn't smart enough to excel in business or a trade, and fell in as a general laborer; a miner. While working in a deep mine in Mountain Dwarf territory, she found ... something. She can't tell you what it was. But it offered her the power to be what she always wanted: a soldier. She now wields dark magic, and a silver pick gifted to her by ... something. She was kicked out when she was blamed for the mine's eventual collapse, made worse when they discovered her new powers. Now she works with the mercenaries, because they don't care.

The next is a Mountain Dwarf Barbarian. Generations ago, his family "fell down the mountain" and ended up settling in the wilds among human barbarians. A traveling merchant introduced him to dwarven ale, inspiring him to set out in search of his ancestral home. They wouldn't take him in. He was too reckless and too much of an outsider. He fell in with the mercenaries because they didn't care. He doesn't care for money, so he's paid in alcohol.

Next is a Mountain Dwarf Artificer (using the most recent Unearthed Arcana version). He was a demolitions expert for a mining company. I don't yet have his backstory.

Last is a Mountain Dwarf Cleric (of the Forge domain). He's the only one in the group who still has good relations with the traditional dwarves (because of his background as a very traditional priest). I'm curious as to what the player comes up with for why he's there. Maybe he's trying to keep the mercenaries on the right path.
Endless Horizons: Action and adventure set in a grand world ripe for exploration.

Proud recipient of the Silver Tortoise Award for extra Krunchyness.

Xathan

  • Gelatinous Cube
  • *
  • Posts: 2211
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Mercenaries
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 01:42:01 AM »
Quote from: Xeviat
Quote from: Xathan
Did we come back at around the same time again?

Sounds really interesting. Question - if the Dwarves don't much like this mercenary group, then who's hiring them?

Maybe ... we are connected.


I swear we are. Are you sure you're not me in disguise?

Quote
The Dwarven nationalists don't like them, because they're independent, but they're still a useful force (especially when you don't want your official military's fingerprints on something). There's also a fairly wide stretch of boarder lands between the human kingdom and the dwarf lands, areas that are ostensibly in either boarder but too far out and too unimportant to fortify. When the specter of war starts to grow, then either side will likely start fortifying.

Gotcha. So...it's actually fairly analogous to how most people view PMCs in the modern world?

Quote

My players have made their characters statistically. Some of them are still working on backstories. All are working on names.

One is a Hill Dwarf Warlock. Hill Dwarves in my setting are generally closer allies to humans, but they also fight over territory with them more because Hill Dwarves live on the surface. The dwarves in the region are Mountain Dwarves, btw. The Warlock grew up wanting to be a soldier, but she wasn't strong enough or exceptionally tough enough (for a dwarf) to stand out. She also wasn't smart enough to excel in business or a trade, and fell in as a general laborer; a miner. While working in a deep mine in Mountain Dwarf territory, she found ... something. She can't tell you what it was. But it offered her the power to be what she always wanted: a soldier. She now wields dark magic, and a silver pick gifted to her by ... something. She was kicked out when she was blamed for the mine's eventual collapse, made worse when they discovered her new powers. Now she works with the mercenaries, because they don't care.

I'm a bit confused on Hill dwarf human reltions. So they're more closely allied, but fight more? That must be complicated. That character sounds pretty awesome though.

Quote

The next is a Mountain Dwarf Barbarian. Generations ago, his family "fell down the mountain" and ended up settling in the wilds among human barbarians. A traveling merchant introduced him to dwarven ale, inspiring him to set out in search of his ancestral home. They wouldn't take him in. He was too reckless and too much of an outsider. He fell in with the mercenaries because they didn't care. He doesn't care for money, so he's paid in alcohol.

For some reason I'm picturing a reverse of Corporal Carrot here - raised by humans, but is still very dwarfy. And I love that his reason for trying to to the dwarves was ale.

Quote
Next is a Mountain Dwarf Artificer (using the most recent Unearthed Arcana version). He was a demolitions expert for a mining company. I don't yet have his backstory.

Last is a Mountain Dwarf Cleric (of the Forge domain). He's the only one in the group who still has good relations with the traditional dwarves (because of his background as a very traditional priest). I'm curious as to what the player comes up with for why he's there. Maybe he's trying to keep the mercenaries on the right path.

I'd be curious to hear what they end up going with!
AnIndex of My Work

Quote from: Sparkletwist
It's llitul and the brain, llitul and the brain, one is a genius and the other's insane
Proud Receiver of a Golden Dorito
SRD AND OGC AND LEGAL JUNK
UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED IN THE POST, NONE OF THE ABOVE CONTENT IS CONSIDERED OGC, EXCEPT FOR MATERIALS ALREADY MADE OGC BY PRIOR PUBLISHERS
Appendix I: Open Game License Version 1.0a
The following text is the property of Wizards of the Coast, Inc. and is Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast, Inc ("Wizards"). All Rights Reserved.
1. Definitions: (a)"Contributors" means the copyright and/or trademark owners who have contributed Open Game Content; (b)"Derivative Material" means copyrighted material including derivative works and translations (including into other computer languages), potation, modification, correction, addition, extension, upgrade, improvement, compilation, abridgment or other form in which an existing work may be recast, transformed or adapted; (c) "Distribute" means to reproduce, license, rent, lease, sell, broadcast, publicly display, transmit or otherwise distribute; (d)"Open Game Content" means the game mechanic and includes the methods, procedures, processes and routines to the extent such content does not embody the Product Identity and is an enhancement over the prior art and any additional content clearly identified as Open Game Content by the Contributor, and means any work covered by this License, including translations and derivative works under copyright law, but specifically excludes Product Identity. (e) "Product Identity" means product and product line names, logos and identifying marks including trade dress; artifacts; creatures characters; stories, storylines, plots, thematic elements, dialogue, incidents, language, artwork, symbols, designs, depictions, likenesses, formats, poses, concepts, themes and graphic, photographic and other visual or audio representations; names and descriptions of characters, spells, enchantments, personalities, teams, personas, likenesses and special abilities; places, locations, environments, creatures, equipment, magical or supernatural abilities or effects, logos, symbols, or graphic designs; and any other trademark or registered trademark clearly identified as Product identity by the owner of the Product Identity, and which specifically excludes the Open Game Content; (f) "Trademark" means the logos, names, mark, sign, motto, designs that are used by a Contributor to identify itself or its products or the associated products contributed to the Open Game License by the Contributor (g) "Use", "Used" or "Using" means to use, Distribute, copy, edit, format, modify, translate and otherwise create Derivative Material of Open Game Content. (h) "You" or "Your" means the licensee in terms of this agreement.
2. The License: This License applies to any Open Game Content that contains a notice indicating that the Open Game Content may only be Used under and in terms of this License. You must affix such a notice to any Open Game Content that you Use. No terms may be added to or subtracted from this License except as described by the License itself. No other terms or conditions may be applied to any Open Game Content distributed using this License.
3. Offer and Acceptance: By Using the Open Game Content You indicate Your acceptance of the terms of this License.
4. Grant and Consideration: In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open Game Content.
5. Representation of Authority to Contribute: If You are contributing original material as Open Game Content, You represent that Your Contributions are Your original creation and/or You have sufficient rights to grant the rights conveyed by this License.
6. Notice of License Copyright: You must update the COPYRIGHT NOTICE portion of this License to include the exact text of the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any Open Game Content You are copying, modifying or distributing, and You must add the title, the copyright date, and the copyright holder's name to the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any original Open Game Content you Distribute.
7. Use of Product Identity: You agree not to Use any Product Identity, including as an indication as to compatibility, except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of each element of that Product Identity. You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered Trademark. The use of any Product Identity in Open Game Content does not constitute a challenge to the ownership of that Product Identity. The owner of any Product Identity used in Open Game Content shall retain all rights, title and interest in and to that Product Identity.
8. Identification: If you distribute Open Game Content You must clearly indicate which portions of the work that you are distributing are Open Game Content.
9. Updating the License: Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License.
10 Copy of this License: You MUST include a copy of this License with every copy of the Open Game Content You Distribute.
11. Use of Contributor Credits: You may not market or advertise the Open Game Content using the name of any Contributor unless You have written permission from the Contributor to do so.
12 Inability to Comply: If it is impossible for You to comply with any of the terms of this License with respect to some or all of the Open Game Content due to statute, judicial order, or governmental regulation then You may not Use any Open Game Material so affected.
13 Termination: This License will terminate automatically if You fail to comply with all terms herein and fail to cure such breach within 30 days of becoming aware of the breach. All sublicenses shall survive the termination of this License.
14 Reformation: If any provision of this License is held to be unenforceable, such provision shall be reformed only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable.
15 COPYRIGHT NOTICE
Open Game License v 1.0 Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Fudge 10th Anniversary Edition Copyright 2005, Grey Ghost Press, Inc.; Authors Steffan O'Sullivan and Ann Dupuis, with additional material by Jonathan Benn, Peter Bonney, Deird'Re Brooks, Reimer Behrends, Don Bisdorf, Carl Cravens, Shawn Garbett, Steven Hammond, Ed Heil, Bernard Hsiung, J.M. "Thijs" Krijger, Sedge Lewis, Shawn Lockard, Gordon McCormick, Kent Matthewson, Peter Mikelsons, Robb Neumann, Anthony Roberson, Andy Skinner, William Stoddard, Stephan Szabo, John Ughrin, Alex Weldon, Duke York, Dmitri Zagidulin
System Reference Document Copyright 2000-2003, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, Rich Baker, Andy Collins, David Noonan, Rich Redman, Bruce R. Cordell, based on original material by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.

Modern System Reference Doument Copyright 2002, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Bill Slavicsek, Jeff Grubb, Rich Redman, Charles Ryan, based on material by Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Richard Baker, Peter Adkison, Bruce R. Cordell, John Tynes, Andy Collins, and JD Walker.

Unearthed Arcana Copyright 2004, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Andy Collins, Jesse Decker, David Noonan, Rich Redman.

Mutants and Masterminds Second Edition Copyright 2005, Green Ronin Publishing; Steve Kenson
Fate (Fantastic Adventures in Tabletop Entertainment) Copyright 2003 by Evil Hat Productions, LLC. Authors Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks.
Spirit of the Century Copyright 2006 by Evil Hat Productions, LLC. Authors Robert Donoghue, Fred Hicks, and Leonard Balsera
Xathan's forum posts at http://www.thecbg.org Copyright 2006-2011, J.A. Raizman.
[close]

Xeviat

  • Flail Snail
  • *
  • Posts: 2086
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Mercenaries
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 01:20:53 AM »
Quote from: Xathan
I swear we are. Are you sure you're not me in disguise?

Why do you assume you're the original?

Quote
Gotcha. So...it's actually fairly analogous to how most people view PMCs in the modern world?

Yup.

Quote
I'm a bit confused on Hill dwarf human reltions. So they're more closely allied, but fight more? That must be complicated. That character sounds pretty awesome though.

This region's dwarves are mountain dwarves. Hill dwarves are from a different area. There, the hill dwarves follow a version of the same religion as most humans do. Humans follow Chivalry, traditions passed down by the Five Knights who saved humans from enslavement to the giants. The swords of the Knights were passed down, and a dwarf once carried the sword of the Gold Knight (who represented Honor). Now, Hill Dwarves follow a sect of Chivalry that places Honor above Justice (Justice being the chief tenant of Chivalry to humans, as Justice was the original leader of the Knights). So, they're closely aligned. The character is a Hill Dwarf, but came to the area seeking a new life.

Quote
For some reason I'm picturing a reverse of Corporal Carrot here - raised by humans, but is still very dwarfy. And I love that his reason for trying to to the dwarves was ale.

I'm not familiar with "Corporal Carrot". Also, I'm pretty sure I'm going with Dwarven ale being obscenely potent, what with their general poison resistance (and my dwarves being descendants of badgers, with their general poison resistance). I imagine dwarves as not really liking beer until they started making it on their own, as human beer is just barley tea to them.
Endless Horizons: Action and adventure set in a grand world ripe for exploration.

Proud recipient of the Silver Tortoise Award for extra Krunchyness.

Xeviat

  • Flail Snail
  • *
  • Posts: 2086
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Mercenaries
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 01:28:42 AM »
Okay, so I'm planning the first session. They recently finished a big job. They awaken to an ambush, and their commander is gone, along with their pay. Why's the commander gone? Did he leave to negotiate peace with the opposing group, only to be captured? Was he in on it? If the group was able to kidnap the commander, then why didn't they just slit the group's throat's in their sleep?

Who are their first enemies? A rival mercenary band? The people they just attacked? Or those who recently hired them?

And what are the source of the tensions between the humans and the dwarves? The humans in the area aren't the Republic. They're a kingdom who used to be part of the empire and kept up their Feudal traditions after the empire's fall. Do they have emperial desires? A desire to take over the dwarves? Or is it more mundane, more economical? The human's mines have dried up and dwarves are raising the prices of iron and gold from their mines; the mountain dwarves can always dig deeper.

I'm hoping for gray morality for this game. OH, maybe the humans are hiring the PCs to help secure a small forest which diviners have determined has large ore deposits. This will put them in conflict with the forest creatures there. It's an animistic world, so fey creatures like elves and goblins could be there, or maybe the more mundane feral people.

I'm just spitballing at this point, trying to get the creativity flowing.
Endless Horizons: Action and adventure set in a grand world ripe for exploration.

Proud recipient of the Silver Tortoise Award for extra Krunchyness.